Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mike's inaugural blog

The last day of June; the first 6 months is done. From these bright, open days of summer, it is the winemaker's habit to practice that thing which most normal people do on January 1: that is, look both forwards and backwards. Although, at 12:01 on January 1, I'm usually swaying backwards and forwards, waxing eloquent about the plight of the thinking-person in a society intent on distraction - but that's a different thing altogether. This mid-point of the year is a time for me to take pride in the wines I have in bottles, and to begin the planning for the new vintage.

Actually, I feel a lot like Doctor Who - but without the cool hair-do and brilliant clothes. What i mean is: I never have a clear sense of time because I'm always working in different years. On any given day, I can give you a run down of 2004, 2005, 2007 and 2008; I have no idea what happened to 2006, but that might have been the year of the gin and tonics...

But of course, I am also peering into the future as far as human eye can see; not only to make decisions on the grapes I want to work with, but also what the trendy young things will be drinking 4 years hence. And any insight you trendy young things can give me in that regard could - obviously - work out to be mutually beneficial: you get to drink what you desire and I get to sell it to you! Consumerism at its most delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment